For our AP Language class, we did research on a poet and are supposed to use a series of metaphors to explain our poet. My poet is Lin-Manuel Miranda, a contemporary composer and the writer of Hamilton.
1. Animal- parrot. A parrot is vocal, creative, and musical, just like Miranda. Parrots are social and colorful, which also reminded me of his outgoing personality. (Here is a video of a parrot making sounds over the soundtrack of Hamilton, just for fun.)
2. Plant- sunflower. A sunflower is bright and colorful and actually follows the sun as is moves across the sky. This reminds me of Miranda because he is always looking for light in this world to incorporate into his music.
3. Article of Clothing- mismatched socks. Mismatched socks are perfect because they are a mix between the practicality of still keeping the feet warm but also does it in a fun and unique way. In Miranda’s musical Hamilton, it has enough history to be practical, but enough music to be fun.
4. Day of the Week- Friday. Friday is a day of excitement and creativity, because it’s almost the weekend, so one wants to work hard to get everything done. It almost has the feeling of running out of time, which is a reference to Hamilton. Miranda writes with a fervor and excitement that seems like he’s running out of time before the weekend.
5. Food- chicken curry. Curry is spicy and full of life, like Miranda, but, unlike a spicy pepper, is still filling enough to make a whole meal. Miranda may be fun, but he also has real substance.
6. Color- red. Red is passionate and loud and shows love. Miranda is a generally passionate person that loves a lot.
7. Geometric Shape- septagon. I chose this one because, too me, a spetagon is a fairly unique shape. It has seven sides, and is not as well known or used. Miranda is surely unique, and has ideas like no one else.
8. Fragrance- petrichor. This is the smell of rain and rain signals growth and new life. Creativity is new ideas and Miranda’s mind must get enough rain to grow what it does.
9. Type of Building- theater. This seems like an obvious connection with Miranda performing on Broadway and winning Tony awards.
10. Word- nonstop. This word is a reference to Hamilton where it describes how Hamilton seems to be constantly writing and making things happen. It would be easy to say the same about Miranda. Looking at his career, it’s quite surprising how much he writes and works.
11. Musical Instrument- snare drum. I chose this because of his rhythms. Although he writes melodies too, his rhythms are extremely unique and important, especially in his rap. He isn’t actually a particularly good singer, but feels much more comfortable rapping.
12. Season of the Year- spring. This has to do with spring being the beginnings of new life and how his creativity reminds me of springtime.
13. Appliance / Machinery- electric kettle. Miranda is always bubbling with ideas, and could just spill over at any time.
14. Natural Phenomenon- volcanic eruption. Volcanoes are hot and passionate, just like Miranda’s intense personality. Also, I like to think of an eruption when I imagine him writing songs or freestyle rapping.
15. Literary Character- Benedict from Much Ado About Nothing. I couldn’t help thinking about how Benedict and Beatrice and constantly making clever puns and playing with words, which is exactly what Miranda does in much of his work.